KidSat : Sea Ice Definitions
Introductory definitions for interpreting ice
1. Ice floe - Blanketed by snow,
pancake ice cements into floes, which buckle as they ram against one
another and slide around.
2. Pancake ice - Ice spins around in
waves and thickens into free floating ice disks, some reaching 8 ft.
3. Sea-Ice Sheets & Pack ice - As
winter deepens pancake ice enlarges and crowds together.
4. Shuga ice or Grease Ice - Early
ice that forms as the temperature falls and small ice crystals clump
together into congealed greasy-ice slicks.
5. Young ice or Frazil Ice - Quickly
frozen ice about an eight-inch-long that may contain minute
6. Open water - Unfrozen sea that may appear a very deep or dark
7. Fast ice - Ice attached to the land.
8. Clouds - White puffs that tend to cast shadows over the ice
and may be confused with snow on the ice surface which do not cast
Can you identify the words from above in the images below?